Sunday, September 9, 2012

Why Do I Write?

Why do I write? Well, because the little voices in my head tell me toseriously, I’ve always talked to myselfnow I put the voices on paper.

I was a late bloomer and didn’t start my love of reading until I was in my twenties and then I couldn’t get enough of the wonderfully, smutty Harlequin books.

I’ve worked in the government sector for fifteen years and always dreamed of having a job that I could work from home. This crazy idea came to me one night, after reading a particularly sizzling romance. Why not try my hand at writing one? So, out of the blue I told my husband I was going to write a Harlequin novel. He said, “Okay.”

I figured I’d read enough of them, I could write oneno problem. Eight thousand words later; I realized it was harder than I thought. I needed to rethink what I wanted to write about.

I put my Harlequin attempt on the back burner and started writing a novel called “The Boss from Hell”. My boss, who I adored, had been fired and his replacement was a living-terror. It was easy to come up with material from his office antics. I threw in psychically communicating with animals and a little bit of raunchy sex and it seemed to click.
Ninety thousand words later I was still optimistic that I could write for a living, but I’d need support, my cat couldn’t give me. The support came in the form of Romance Writers of America and all the people involved in the local chapter.

Several of the members of my local chapter read my book and made numerous suggestions, one of them came from an independent publisherBooks to Go Now. She told me to put the novel aside for now and try my hand at a short story. I took her advice and wrote a short story.

After I hit the send button to submit Flamingo Blues, as a Christmas short story to Books to Go Now I sat at my computer and kept hitting refresh every hour. Ha ha…When I got an email from Books to Go Now saying, “We’d like to offer you a contract for Flamingo Blues.” I hyperventilatedI couldn’t believe my eyes. I’ve never in my life felt that kind of joy—Opps, I retract that, my husband gives me great joy. Anyway, I grabbed my co-worker and we ran around the outside of the building and hugged over-and over again. We did some jumping up and down too.

On a huge high, I wrote Be Mine, a Valentine short story. And again, when I received the email with a contract attached, the excitement was overwhelming .My co-worker and I did another happy dance and my husband bought a bottle champagne to celebrate.
I immediately started writing ‘Klutzy Love’, the third book in ‘The Corny Myers Series’.

Whenever I open a word document and start to type I get a flutter in my belly, who will Corny make laugh  today?

No comments:

Post a Comment